Sunday, June 29, 2008

TA DAAA........ My Dream Couches


After purchasing our first home, I had images of grandeur about what I was going to do with the house. Big Screen T.V., leather couches, art work, remodeling, blah, blah blah. Then the first mortgage came, we needed another vehicle, car problems, medical bills, and basically the reality that all those fun things weren't going to happen for a loooooooong time set in. humph. So the living room sat empty for a couple years. Our house was the happening house for anyone under the age of 5. There was just so much room to do anything they wanted, like a white canvas and nobody cared what happened.

Then one day Uncle Quin came up with an offer I wanted to resist but couldn't. He was purchasing his dream couches and was wondering if I wanted his old ones. I didn't want to say "No" for several reasons: 1. I didn't want to hurt his feelings; 2. I knew the history of these old couches; 3. I didn't have couches; and 4. Old couches are better than no couches. So I said "sure."

After a year of having these wonderful pieces of furniture, they look exactly the same. These are the only items I own that have ever, ever, ever been able to withstand 3 very active, rambunctious, dirty, stinky, happy, little boys. Things have happened to these couches I don't ever want to repeat and you would never be able to tell. And I don't worry one bit about it. If I had my fancy, new, expensive couches I would be freaking out every time the boys came around because I know they haven't bathed in days and their nails haven't been clipped in weeks, and someone's wearing a very full and droopy diaper that needs immediate attention but won't be getting any for another couple hours. (Nah, I'm exaggerating. My kids aren't that neglected .)

So it turns out that my dream couches really aren't the ones I was imagining three years ago but the ones grandma and grandpa Ericson bought 50 plus years ago and reupholstered to this cool, 60s fabric that has withstood the test of time and my boys.

16 comments:

Lettie B. said...

You forgot to mention the amazing number of people that can fit on them too! :)

D said...

Completely know what you're talking about. One day right?

the narrator said...

i took a wonderful nap on one of those couches this afternoon. they are perhaps the most comfortable old couches in existence.

iammommahearmeroar said...

I love your blog. You write the funniest stuff and it doesn't hurt that you've got 3 beautiful boys to photograph. Can I add you to my blog list?

lucy said...

Of Course!

Angela said...

AAAAAH! es palabras es muy bonito. tu eres mama magnifico. ok, so i´m trying. its all wrong and nonsense but hopefully you get what i was attempting. by the way i will be expecting you to speak spanish to me when i get back. es muy importante.

Chris said...

cute post babe :D

Emily said...

lovin' the blue... lovin' it!

Carson Calderwood said...

"I knew the history of these old couches..." Does that involve you and Chris making out on them for hours on end??? Like you did in the back of the car on the way to Jackson in case the years of your marriage have blurred the memory of what used to happen ;-)

Amy-Alisa said...

Amen, sister. We bless our Funeral Home couches every time they get spilled on. Trav's mantra is "I am never buying anything new. It's not worth it." Unfortunately, ours do not match (one's green and one is floral), but they do the job.

lucy said...

eew Carson. I've always known you had a dirty mind :0) think what you want to think.

BTW, things are even hotter now ;0)

Anonymous said...

I am here to give a second witness to corroborate Carson's statement. I can say with 100% confidence that Carson speaks the truth. Chris and Nancy are indeed sickos, and many scenarios are not only possible, but likely on those couches.

lucy said...

oh no, not you too Nate! Seriously? OK, yeah, holding hands, Sitting really close, Being all cheesy and in love. Ok yeah gross. But making out in the back seat of the car with the two of you driving? Seriously. That's disgusting. We wouldn't put you through that. Although I will apologize for all of the other CHEESE.

Ivy & Mae said...

I love this post and I can completely and totally relate!

I made Paul buy me a dining room table and chairs--such a big mistake, it is now used as a race car track and I notice every scratch--dang kids, can't something just stay nice?

Marisa said...

Nancy, I seriously hope that last comment was supposed to be sarcastic, or you must be suffering from married-too-long dementia! I seem to remember not only the backseat on the way to Jackson but also Mickey and Cerola's boat at Lake Powell...

lucy said...

I give up! I'm sorry for putting all of you through that. It's Chris' fault.