Monday, September 01, 2008

Some Observations


I just finished reading the Diplomat's wife. Loved it. I repeat. LOVED IT (although it had holes it was entertaining and suspenseful, the twists were awesome, I really liked the love story behind it, and overall had a good mix of sad and happy) . And so I must say that I can truly waste my life away reading. If it's such a good thing why do I feel guilty when I read. Could it be the screaming kids, or that my husband is making dinner again, or that my house is not up to par and things and people are being neglected? Perhaps, so I ask myself do I really want to start the Kommandant's Girl, Enna Burning, and River Secrets? The part of me that loves to escape reality and go off into another's world is wanting to read, read, read. But, the better part of me says, I must restore balance. How do you do it?

I was waiting in line to pay at a store. The lady in front of me had three daughters not much older than my three boys. As I watched her three daughters, "sitting ducks" came to my mind. While her daughters waited quietly, hardly shifting positions, my three boys were running circles around me, touching everything, constantly on the move, three different conversations going on at the same time. Wow, what a difference. Is it just my boys or is there truly a difference between girls and boys? Don't answer that first question.


Ipod shuffle vs. Sansa's MP3 player. I recently(3 weeks ago) got a shuffle and have been happy with it. But, I had to get a new one because it broke. We think it shorted. Chris got a Sansa and I think I like it better. It's small and has a clip as well. But it shows you what song and artist is playing. I like the feel of it and the ear phones it came with are much more comfortable and the quaility of sound I think is better. It picks up FM stations. It can hold twice as much music as my shuffle and it was on sale for 10 bucks less than what I paid. I'm really rethinking my shuffle but I don't want to face Walmart's customer service. Is the trade really worth going back to Walmart and dealing with those people? Is the Sansa that much better?

9 comments:

CUTRER said...

I think it is manly boys R likes to stay close to me an help but then when J was small he also stayed close. An know they all run off it gets worse. When you shop w/o kids it goes faster and smoother

Carson Calderwood said...

People w/o two or three boys close in age have a difficult time quite understanding. Let's just say we feel for you =D

the narrator said...

one of the few nice things about walmart is that you can return almost anything there. i often return stuff that i bought elsewhere there opened with no receipt and occasionally use walmart as a rental for thigns i have purchased online

Anonymous said...

Oh man. This is Erica your cousin. Nancy, judging from my experience on the playground and in a kindergarten classroom, it's definitely a boy thing (generally speaking). Boys are very physical, more so than girls (again generally speaking).

Emily said...

nothing is worth facing Walmart...NOTHING!!!

Sara C. said...

I have no experience with a Sansa. I have the shuffle, and we really like it, so far. But, we got it refurbished at a media store called Hastings, for $20. If we had paid more, I probably would not like it as well! It is simple for sure, and the earbuds were terrible, wouldn't even fit in my ears. We only use it while jogging on the treadmill, so it fits our needs fine.

As for your boys, they sound just like mine. Meghan is less physical than her brothers. In fact when you compare her to them she seems downright lazy at times!

Chris said...

"In fact when you compare her to them she seems downright lazy at times!"

heehee. that's funny. girls need more rest. I bet her brothers exhaust her.

Chris said...

I think that was nancy that left that last comment...It wasn't me.

Amy-Alisa said...

When I start reading a good book, I can get a little obsessed and not do other things that I ought to be. But at least I recognize that and can consciously change it. Balance is a good thing. And both 'Enna Burning' and 'River Secrets' are fast reads, so I don't feel bad about those, especially if they are my "night books".