Saturday, January 31, 2009

Shhhh.....

Shhh.....

There's a special party for a birthday boy

And your invited to show

But don't tell K because he doesn't know

So if you can make it, here's a word to the wise

Make sure to be prompt 'cause it's a surprise

We're excited to see what his face will be showing

We hope it will have not a trace of him knowing.


K's Surprise Birthday Party

The poor little fellow has been asking about his party all week long. We planned to take a few friends to the Discovery Museum after toiling with a dozen other ideas. However, it just didn't feel right, even after all these weeks of tossing out ideas and finally picking one. It came to me in the middle of the night and it felt like the right thing to do. After passing the above "book club" invitations to his friend's mamas we were set to go.

The kids were so excited to hide behind the couches, jump out, scream "surprise," and pop their confetti at him. His face went from sad, to blank, to happy enough. After he tackled his friends the party began.

We played games,

had a light lunch and cupcakes

and hit a pinata.

It was complete chaos in the best way possible. There were a few close melt downs I was able to distract. One which included my own. I took video footage of the surprise and then soon after it was all done I noticed I didn't have the recorder on. sniff, sniff....Better luck next time.

He got tons of fun stuff including 6 bionicles none of which were the same. How cool is that? He got one for Christmas and loves it. Thanks to his buds he has a nice collection and is one happy kiddo.


And hey since we're all cleaned up why not try a picture of all of us for once.

15 comments:

the narrator said...

that's so much fun. wish i could have seen it.

Bobby said...

Dude, i really need to move back... AND L's smile is the awesomest!

lucy said...

the boys would have loved for their uncles to be here. There's still March and April. Come on down.

Natalie J said...

Sounds like he had a blast. You have some great ideas. The family pictures look really nice!

Lisa said...

Your family pictures are so cute! Did you get them taken somewhere or do you just have a couch sitting outside? Happy Birthday K!

Anonymous said...

Thanks ladies.

We actually just carried our couch out to the church parking lot across the street and used a tripod. I'd probably choose a different background and put the camera closer next time to try to get a clearer shot. I have a picture in my mind and it includes our party balloons, our fish and hamster. But I'll have to try next time because the boys had, had it with the pictures that day.

Lucy

Jen said...

Luke had such a fun time at the party! What a fun mom to do such a neat party for him.

Bobby said...

Oh and plus i just noticed something... There is only 1 girl at this party. Was she someone special? ahahaha

Ramona said...

What a great family pix!! Did ya just happen to have a cute couch in the yard at the right time? Or are you going white trash on us and keeping furniture in the yard?! (I embrace my white trash heritage and use the term with endearment and disgust!)

lucy said...

Bobby-And she was such a good sport too! We were suppose to have a few more but it didn't work out. She's not the 1st grade crush. I don't know if K has one this year. I'll have to do some snooping around.

Ramona-you crack me up. We're just trying to embrace our trashy side. This couch comes in handy every once in a while. Don't you just love the fabric :0)?

Amy-Alisa said...

A very good looking family. I swear, there is so much cajoling, prodding, tears and threats said through clenched teeth that go on at our home when we try to get a group shot.

lucy said...

Same, believe or not. I finally succumbed on letting the boys taking turns hitting the button and running back before the timer going off.

Marisa said...

I love the couch outside, we should try that! L's hair is so short! And I love K's expression in that first picture! I think Carson already told Chris we're coming next weekend, hopefully we can get all the kids together again!

Carson Calderwood said...

Cute boys. Great idea to do a surprise party for a boy.

April said...

My son asked me today how old you have to be to have a surprise birthday. I told him a teenager. You are a way cooler mom that I am.
Looks like a lot of fun.